Holiday Cooking Fire Safety Tips
According to the National Fire Prevention Association, cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires each year. And because most people will be cooking their holiday traditions, many homes are at risk. If you plan to cook this holiday season, here are some tips to keep your home safe.
- Never leave the kitchen unattended. Many times a cooking-related fire occurs, nobody is watching the kitchen. If you’re actively cooking something, don’t leave the area unsupervised, even if it’s only for a moment.
- Don’t put out grease fires with water. You’ve been taught that water extinguishes fires, and while that’s true in some cases, it isn’t always true. Grease fires are one such example, which can actually get worse when exposed to water. Instead, turn off the heat source, put a lid over the pan, and use either baking soda or a Class B fire extinguisher, depending on its size.
- Make sure all appliances are turned off after use. When you’re not paying attention, it can be easy to forget to turn the oven off. But when it’s left on for so long, that’s when disaster strikes. So be sure to double-check that all appliances are turned off after you are finished using them.
We know you’re looking forward to delicious Christmas treats, but remember that safety comes first. If you have a fire in your home this holiday season, call SERVPRO of Catawba County East at (828) 465-6504!