4 Things to Remember When Extinguishing a Fire
Kitchen fires are the leading cause of home fires each year, according to the National Fire Prevention Association. While these types of fires can typically be prevented if precautions are taken, they are still a common problem. But what do you do when there’s fire in your kitchen? Believe it or not, water isn’t necessarily the answer.
- Do not swat at the fire. While it might work for birthday candles, it’s a bad idea to fan a fire. When you do, you actually risk spreading the flames and exacerbating the problem.
- If you have a grease fire, DO NOT attempt to put it out with water. Water and grease just don’t mix—literally. If you attempt to pour water on a grease fire, it will likely cause the grease to splatter and spread the fire. Instead, use a lot of baking soda or salt (NOT flour, which can explode).
- If you have an oven fire, do not open the oven door. Fires need oxygen to continue burning. So if there’s a fire in your oven, keep the door closed and turn it off. The lack of oxygen should eventually cause it to suffocate, but if it does not seem to improve, call the fire department.
- Aim a fire extinguisher at the base of the flame. Fire extinguishers are good tools to have during a kitchen fire, but if you don’t use it properly, it isn’t of much use. Instead of aiming it at the actual flames, aim it at the base of the flame to actually extinguish it.
If you’ve never had a kitchen fire before, you’re apt to make some critical mistakes. But by following the advice above, you have a much better chance of extinguishing the fire (or at the very least, you won’t make it worse). If the fire gets out of control or you’re unsure what to do, call your local fire department immediately! And remember that SERVPRO of Catawba County East is here to make it “Like it never even happened.”